The Paul Brewery: A Rouen Story in 4 Episodes

3. 1940–1967 — Destroy, Relocate, Rebuild

In 1940, fires ravaged part of the cathedral district. The Brasserie Paul, located further down Rue Grand-Pont, remained standing. Its reprieve would come to an end in May 1944: bombing raids destroyed its entrance and the large rooms at the back of the block.

After the war, Köhler refused to rebuild in that tangle of lots and properties. Being pragmatic, he chose to move the establishment to the vacant lot across from the cathedral. The project included a more compact brewery, billiard tables in the basement, and a modern 24-room hotel equipped with an elevator—a level of comfort that was still remarkable for the time.

The decor, however, retains the spirit of the old establishment: bistro-style furniture, decorative glass panels, and references to Rouen and the Seine. The mysterious letter “C,” still visible in the hotel, may be a subtle tribute to Criblez, who remained in the shadows after the war.

In 1967, the decision to lease the brewery and the hotel separately gradually cemented the division of the complex.

Next episode: From 1992 to the present — Two houses, one story